News and Announcements
February 3, 2018
FRANKLIN – Setting out to take the meet just one race at a time, the Grizzly Cubs ladies opened up their 2018 IHSAA Tournament campaign with fireworks. A 200 Medley Relay crew featuring Jessie Fraley, Kabria Chapman, Ali Terrell, and Gracey Payne, dominated the race, winning by over 4 seconds. The time (1:44.71) broke both the school record and pool record. From that point forward, the lady Grizzly Cubs would further out-pace the field, winning every race of the afternoon.
Franklin, who claimed their 3rd sectional title in as many years, had a large group of athletes contributing to success. Carla Gildersleeve was the only double-winner on the day, taking first in both the 100 Butterfly and 200 Freestyle. After that, everyone had a slice of the fun, with Sarah Hoffman claiming her first sectional title of her career in the 500 Freestyle.
Freshmen Chapman and Payne were tremendous in their freshmen debuts, winning the 100 Breaststroke and 100 Freestyle. Chapman now claims the fastest time in FCHS history with her efforts in the 100 Breaststroke.
Junior Ali Terrell scorched the field in the 200 IM, winning by over 5 seconds and taking down the school record in the process. Senior Ella Pheifer logged a top-3 time in the state, blazing her way to pool record in the 50 Freestyle. Lastly, junior Jessie Fraley capped off the closest race of the afternoon, winning in a FCHS and pool record.
The day wasn’t just highlighted by those few winning swims as Franklin took 1-2 in 7 of the 8 individual swimming events. Senior Anna McCahill punched a ticket to the IHSAA State finals with her performance in the 100 Butterfly, and took a 2nd place finish in the 200IM.
Underclassmen Lina Caudill, Lilly Lacy, Alex Hart, and Regan Hendricks all contributed with podium finishes and strong relay legs during the sectional championships. Lacy dropped 3 seconds to take 5th in the 200 IM, and breaking the minute barrier for the first time in the 100 Backstroke. Caudill provided Franklin some much-needed depth by swimming to a 5th and 6th place finish in the 500 Freestyle and 200 Freestyle respectively. Hart had the meet of a lifetime, dropping nearly 3 seconds in both of her races (6th in 100 Freestyle, 5th in 100 Backstroke).
“_Our underclassmen, which made up 14 of the 24 swims, were incredible. I’ve never been a part of a group that handled the atmosphere with so much poise and so much focus. They were committed to their swims and more importantly, to one another. It’s been really cool to be part of this group._”
Franklin looks to take that poise and focus to the 2018 IHSAA State Championships beginning this Friday at 6pm at the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis. The Grizzly Cubs boast the 2nd most swims in the state (17) behind Carmel High School (27). The state qualifying swims are as follows:
• 200 Medley Relay
• 200 Free Relay
• 400 Free Relay
• 200 Freestyle: Carla Gildersleeve, Sarah Hoffman
• 200 Individual Medley: Ali Terrell
• 50 Freestyle: Ella Pheifer, Gracey Payne
• 100 Butterfly: Carla Gildersleeve, Anna McCahill
• 100 Freestyle: Gracey Payne, Ella Phiefer
• 500 Freestyle: Sarah Hoffman, Jessie Fraley
• 100 Backstroke: Jessie Fraley
• 100 Breaststroke: Kabria Chapman, Ali Terrell
1 Franklin Community FRKL 519
2 Center Grove CGRV 316
3 Indian Creek INCR 293
4 Whiteland Community WLAN 274
5 Perry Meridian PMER 180
6 Greenwood Community GWOD 136
7 Roncalli RONC 123
8 Mooresville MOOR 105
9 Southport SPOR 98
10 Martinsville MART 94
11 Greenwood Christian Academy GCA 16
Psych Sheet for the 2018 IHSAA State Championships
I realize you have been swamped with emails but please read each one. Lots of exciting things are happening this week!!! Here is a recap and some quick reminders:
SPIRIT SQUAD—-We will start decorating around 3:15pm Friday (tomorrow) after school. Bring tape and posters for the locker room. We will also begin hanging individual posters in the hallway. We will be in the pool area until about 5pm. I will be at the school hanging posters again on Saturday morning from 10:15-11:00. If you cannot get to school at either time, please place your child’s poster on the lockbox table in the storage room and we will get it up!
1. Roxie Chapman
2. Kenja Fraley
3. Brandi Terrell
4. Kristi P
5. Jodi M-window clings
6. Nicole Caudill (if available)
On Thursday, February 1—we will be taking down decorations during the day since we are the host for this meet and common areas (locker room) will need to remain neutral.
- Saturday, January 27— athletes will practice per Coach DeWitt. BREAKFAST WILL BE PROVIDED FOR ALL SWIMMERS before heading to the JV INVITE. Remind your swimmer to pack additional food and drink—it is a long and exciting day!
- Tuesday, January 30—Sectional Dinner at The Terrell’s (2975 Hurricane rd). In the past, the athletes have been fantastic about carpooling over. Please encourage them to do so. Dinner usually lasts around 1.5 hours.
1. Kacey Wilson-pasta dish
2. Roxie Chapman-pasta dish
3. Tara Payne-pasta dish
4. Brandi Terrell-meatballs and breadsticks
5. Kenja Fraley-salad
6. Jodi M.-fruit
Everything should be ready to serve at 5:30pm. Please text or call me (3173719221)if you would like to make any special arrangements to drop off the day before, earlier, etc.
- Wednesday, January 31—Sectional Fruit Cups to be received at the end of practice.
1. Jennifer Clarke
2. Lisa Pinnick
- Thursday, February 1—Sectional Prelims @ 5:30pm. Parents will make and assist with lunch in the storage room. ALL FEMALE ATHLETES will come to the pool area during their lunch period and enjoy a team meal together. Girls are having baked potato bar, pasta salad, and sandwiches.
1. Cami Hoffman
2. Kristi P.
4. Brandi Terrell
- Friday, February 2—Normal day. Practice per Coach DeWitt and wear sectional t-shirt!
A HUGE thank you to all the parents. Your support, donations, and time make this a fun and memorable season for each and everyone of the athletes. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!! Please don’t hesitate to call, email, or text with questions! Check your email and Teampages often!
Correction- ALL swimmers who ordered Subway will receive it as normal. Sorry for the confusion.
A hot breakfast will be prepared and served for the team in between practice and departure for the JV Meet this Saturday, 1/27/18. The whole team is expected to attend this meet. Please make sure that your swimmer/diver has a packed lunch/snack and drink for this meet as it will be a long day for them.
Also, in anticipation of Sectionals, it is imperative that the following be mentioned:
- Hosting Sectionals is a huge privilege for our team! With this privilege, must come effort! This meet is considered to be on the same level as the Hall of Fame Meet, and therefore, requires all hands on deck!!! If you haven’t already done so, please take the opportunity to check out the signups for Sectionals as well as each of the email signups pertaining to the week of Sectionals that was recently forwarded and consider volunteering as the same begins next week!!!
- Historically the boy parents volunteer to work the girls’ sectionals and vice versa. This concept is a goal that is aimed for each year, however, it’s success is very much dependent upon the boy/girl parent ratio every season. With this being said, due to the fact that the girls’ team is almost doubled the boys’ team in size this year and that there are some parents that prefer to be volunteers for a meet, feel free to sign up to volunteer for whichever meet you wish to assist with!
Thank you so much for all you have done thus far!!! It is greatly appreciated by the team, the coaches and us for the team is only as good as the support system that circles around them!!!