February 4, 2017
FRANKLIN – While a clean sweep of the events was never part of the goal, the Lady Grizzly Cubs paced the field Saturday, winning all 11 swimming events.
Led by double winners Ella Pheifer – 50 Freestyle and 100 Freestyle, Carla Gildersleeve – 100 Butterfly and 200 Freestyle, and Ali Terrell – 100 Breaststroke and 200 Individual Medley, the Grizzly Cubs claimed their 2nd consecutive sectional title Saturday at Franklin.
“Our goal was always to get as many ladies to state as possible, and this has certainly been our most successful attempt with that,“ said Coach Zach DeWitt, in his 5th year as Head Coach, “These ladies drew up a goal of what we thought we could do on a state level, and they took a step towards that goal today.”
Pheifer, Gildersleeve, and Terrell were far from alone in leading the team to a team total of 549, which bested Center Grove’s by a total of 93 points. Two other teammates took home titles as well.
Scarlet Friend , a sophomore, took home the 100 Backstroke title, marking her first victory on a Sectional level, while another sophomore, Jessie Fraley nabbed a title of her own in an exciting victory in the 500 Freestyle.
It was a team-effort with the trifecta of relay victories, where the quartet of Friend, Terrell, Anna McCahill, and Pheifer stood out in the 200 Medley Relay winning by over 4 seconds in a relay looks promising for state finalist contention.
Later on Friend, Terrell, Abi Gibson – a senior, and Gildersleeve dominated a the field by clocking a time of 1:37.86, which won again by a margin of 4 seconds.
In the final race of the day, Gildersleeve, Gibson, Fraley, and Pheifer won a decisive race over Center Grove, managing to post a 3:33.12 – a new school and pool record. Coach DeWitt believes the same quartet has some unfinished business next week at state.
“We managed to check quite a few boxes on our list of things to do, but I know the girls feel like that have a lot more left in the tank for next week. Our relays haven’t quite had the opportunity to get caught up in a racing moment, which often brings the best out of everyone. We’re excited for the week ahead, the work ahead, and the racing ahead.”
Franklin looks to do just that, with the 2017 IHSAA State Championships beginning this Friday at 6pm at the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis. The Grizzly Cubs boast quite the line-up for Friday’s preliminaries:
- 200 Medley Relay – S. Friend, A. Terrell, A. McCahill, E. Pheifer – Sectional Champion
- 200 Freestyle – Carla Gildersleeve – Sectional Champion
- 200 IM – Ali Terrell – Sectional Champion
- 50 Free – Ella Pheifer – Sectional Champion
- 100 Butterfly – Carla Gildersleeve – Sectional Champion, Anna McCahill – State Cut
- 100 Freestyle – Ella Pheifer – Sectional Champion
- 500 Freestyle – Jessie Fraley – Sectional Champion, Sarah Hoffman – State Cut
- 200 Freestyle Relay – S. Friend, A. Gibson, A. Terrell, C. Gildersleeve – Sectional Champion
- 100 Backstroke – Scarlet Friend – Sectional Champion, Jessie Fraley – State Cut
- 100 Breaststroke – Ali Terrell – Sectional Champion
- 400 Freestyle Relay – C. Gildersleeve, J. Fraley, A. Gibson, E. Pheifer – Sectional Champion
Place School Points
- Franklin Community FRKL 549
- Center Grove CGRV 355
- Whiteland Community WLAN 278
- Indian Creek INCR 262
- Perry Meridian PMER 160
- Roncalli RONC 132
- Martinsville MART 131
- Greenwood Community GWOD 114
- Mooresville MOOR 102
- Southport SPOR 62
- Owen Valley OWEN 32
- Greenwood Christian GCA 23
For more information about Saturday’s Results, please visit the link below:
For more information on the IHSAA State Finals, please visit the following link: